Savory, crunchy, cheesy and totally dippable, these baked nuggets taste like fried eggplant parmesan and can be eaten with your hands! These patties are also awesome in sandwiches or as a crunchy side to an Italian chopped salad. If you can find gluten-free panko breadcrumbs, these nuggets will be extra crispy, but regular breadcrumbs or shredded coconut will work just as well.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
2 medium eggplants
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs or unsweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Slice eggplants into ¼-inch rounds.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. In another small bowl or shallow plate, combine cheese and breadcrumbs with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Working quickly, dip each eggplant slice in beaten egg then in breadcrumb mixture and place on parchment paper, keeping at least a half inch between slices. Repeat until all eggplant slices are coated.
- Bake for 20 minutes, carefully flip eggplant slices, and bake an additional 10–15 minutes, until eggplant is cooked through and breadcrumbs are browned.
- Serve with marinara sauce or atop pasta.