This recipe is the perfect go-to when you’re craving a traditional baked pasta dish or lasagna. Turkey makes this casserole a hearty, satisfying meal that the whole family will love! Plus, it’s completely gluten-free and is topped with a delicious dairy-free cashew cheese that melts in your mouth.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
1 cup raw cashews
2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1½ teaspoons sea salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 medium cabbage, cored and chopped (about 8 cups)
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
3 tablespoons water, divided
3 cups marinara sauce
2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add cashews to a small bowl and cover with water. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon of oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and turkey and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and turkey is browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, one teaspoon sea salt, pepper, bay leaves, basil and oregano, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to a medium pot over medium heat and add the cabbage. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, until the cabbage has softened and is just tender.
- Remove the bay leaves from the turkey and tomato sauce. Mix the arrowroot powder with one tablespoon of water in a small bowl and add to the sauce. Stir well, then remove from heat.
- Grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish; then evenly spread half of the shredded cabbage mixture and top with half of the turkey sauce. Add another layer of the remaining cabbage and then top with the remainder of the turkey sauce. Top with the marinara sauce.
- Cover casserole dish tightly with foil and bake for 30–45 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While casserole is cooling, drain the water from the cashews and add to a food processor. Add the lemon juice, granulated garlic, ½ teaspoon sea salt and 2 tablespoons water. Process, scraping down the sides as needed (adding additional water if necessary), until the cashew cheese is smooth.
- Cut the casserole into 6 servings. Smooth the cashew cheese on top or spoon onto individual servings. Serve hot.