Apple and caramel are a match made in heaven. Caramel, though, usually means high-fructose corn syrup and other processed ingredients you want to avoid. This recipe from food blogger Leanne Vogel gives you all of the heaven without all of the unhealthy ingredients, plus the added mineral boost from Natural Vitality's Plant-Sourced Minerals liquid supplement. Time to break out the cupcake pan and give it a try!
Caramel Apple Cupcakes (Gluten-Free & Paleo)
Makes 6 cupcakes
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
1 tablespoon grape seed oil
¼ cup Natural Vitality Plant-Sourced Minerals liquid concentrate
40 grams fresh spinach (about ½ cup packed)
2 tablespoons honey
¼ cup arrowroot starch
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
Pinch sea salt
? cup diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium-sized apple)
Caramel Nut Topping
2 tablespoons smooth nut or seed butter (I used tahini)
1 tablespoon honey
¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons raw walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 6-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to the jug of your blender; blend for 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients and blend for 15 seconds. Turn off the blender and let the mixture sit for 2 minutes.
- Drop in apples and swish around in the jug. Do not blend!
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 22–25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and immediately remove the cupcakes from the pan and set on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, add nut butter, honey and vanilla to a small frying pan. Heat on medium-low, stirring constantly until bubbles form. Continue to heat for another 10 seconds. Then, drizzle over top of the cupcakes. Immediately top with walnut pieces.
- Allergens: Gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar–free, yeast-free, corn-free, grain-free
By Leanne Vogel