This perfect festive holiday treat from Healthful Pursuit's Leanne Vogel will get oohs and aahs at home or at the potluck.
Chocolate-Covered Cranberry Bars
Lightly sweetened chocolate-layer bars—a healthy hemp-seed base and melted chocolate coating, sandwiched between a dense layer of cranberry cream—need we say more. Thank you, Leanne Vogel, holistic nutritionist and author of Healthful Pursuit, for making up these amazing treats, using Natural Vitality’s nutrient-packed Osteo Calm.
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 4 hrs
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup coconut nectar, honey or other liquid sweetener
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup cocoa powder
1 cup shredded coconut
½ cup hemp seeds
1 cup fresh cranberries
¼ cup xylitol or other granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 tablespoons Natural Vitality Osteo Calm, divided
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 6 hours, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
4 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
- Add bottom layer ingredients—tahini, coconut nectar and vanilla extract—to a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine; then add cocoa powder. Mix until incorporated.
- Add shredded coconut and hemp seeds to the bowl. Stir until everything is covered in the chocolate mix. You may want to use your hands.
- Once complete, press mixture into a parchment-paper-lined 8? x 8? baking sheet. Press firmly and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add middle layer ingredients—cranberries, xylitol, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of Osteo Calm—to a small saucepan. Heat on medium-high heat until it boils; then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Once complete, transfer to your high-powered blender. Add remaining Osteo Calm, cashews and coconut oil. Blend until smooth.
- Spread cranberry mixture over top of the chocolate hemp crust.
- Pour melted chocolate over top and spread with the back of the spoon, being careful not to mix the layers.
- Transfer dessert to the fridge and allow to cool for at least 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove from the fridge and use a warmed knife to cut through the hard chocolate.
- Store in the fridge for 3–4 days or freezer for up to 1 month.
By Leanne Vogel