Load up on fiber, healthy fats and bone-strengthening nutrients with a batch of these grain-free, low-carb chia croutons. Chia seed is naturally rich in fiber and bone-health nutrients. Combined with the healing properties of Osteo Calm, these croutons are miles ahead of your average salad topper.
Gorgeous Grain-Free, Low-Carb Chia Croutons
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 50 min
½ cup ground chia seeds
¼ cup coconut flour
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
4 free-range, organic eggs
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Osteo Calm
Additional olive oil and salt for roasting, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine chia seeds, flour, rosemary, baking powder and salt in a small dish. Rotate with a spoon until incorporated, and set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine eggs, oil and Osteo Calm. Whisk until combined.
- Transfer dry ingredients to wet, and stir until smooth.
- Drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread to ½-inch thickness. No need for the dough to hit the sides of the pan. Spread evenly with the back of a spatula. Place the sheet in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cut into cubes.
- For crispier croutons, turn off the oven and allow it to cool completely. Remove the parchment paper or baking mat from the baking sheet and transfer the cubes to the sheet. Place the sheet in the cooled oven overnight. In the morning, coat with additional oil and salt, if desired; then roast in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes, until golden.
- For faster results, once the cubes are cut, remove the parchment paper or baking mat from the sheet and transfer the bread cubes back to the sheet. If desired, coat with additional oil and salt. Transfer the sheet back to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and allow croutons to cool completely. Store in a parchment paper bag, on the counter, for 2–3 days.
- Serve with Kale Salad with Olives, Chia Croutons + Creamy Lemon-Rosemary Dressing