Gwyneth Paltrow's latest cookbook, It's All Good (Grand Central Life & Style, 2013), offers a mishmash of what today goes by "clean" food—nothing processed and an emphasis on fresh ingredients. Here, we offer a simple salad but with a unique dressing that Paltrow says makes this salad a standout. We agree (prepare extra to dip veggies in).
NY Street Vendor Salad with Yogurt-Tahini Dressing
1 large head of romaine or 3 heads of Little Gem lettuce, chopped
A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
½ English cucumber, peeled and diced
? red onion, very thinly sliced or shaved on a mandoline
2 tablespoons tahini
¼ cup boiling water
½ small garlic clove, finely minced
½ cup plain sheep’s or goat’s milk yogurt or Vegenaise
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the lettuce in a large bowl and stir to combine with ¼ cup of the dressing so it’s just lightly coated.
- Divide the lettuce among four plates or place it on a large platter.
- Over the lettuce, evenly scatter the tomatoes, cucumber and onion.
- Drizzle each portion with another tablespoon or two of the dressing and serve immediately, with the remaining dressing on the side if you or your guests like your salad more heavily dressed.
- Dressing Whisk the tahini and water together until completely smooth. Whisk in the remaining ingredients. That’s it.
- Keeps well in a jar in the fridge for up to a week.
- Vegan (if you use Vegenaise, found in natural food stores)
By Gwyneth Paltrow