Whether you’re on a special diet or just opting for healthy, this vegan queso and guacamole dip will satisfy and even impress any guest. Serve with organic tortilla chips and cut veggies.
Healthy Super Bowl Southwestern Vegan Queso-Mole
Serves 2–3 as an appetizer
1 cup raw cashews
? cup water
½ cup chopped red onion
¼ cup diced green pepper
(For a spicy version, use 1 finely diced jalapeño instead)
½ cup diced tomato
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
4 tbsp chopped cilantro
1½ tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp yeast flakes
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp olive oil
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp paprika
½ cup chopped white onion
- Soak the cashews in water for up to 4 hours.
- To make the guacamole, scoop the avocado into a bowl. Squeeze approx. 1½ tsp of lemon juice into the avocado. Mince about 2 tbsp of the onion and add 1½ tsp of salt. Smash the ingredients together until it’s a mushy, creamy texture. Set aside.
- After the cashews have soaked, drain the water and put the cashews in a high-speed blender or food processor. Add the water, yeast flakes, turmeric, cumin, paprika, 1½ tsp salt and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
- Blend until you have a smooth and creamy texture (add a little more water if needed).
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic, remaining onion, diced tomato, green pepper or jalapeño, and sauté until the onion is translucent and tender (about 4 mins).
- Turn the heat to low and add the cilantro and the “cheesy” cashew mixture. Stir well to combine, gently heating the dip (or place in a low-heat Crock-Pot).
- Scoop the guacamole onto the center top of the queso and garnish with a few diced tomatoes and a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve with organic corn chips or cut veggies and enjoy!
- Yields approx. 2 cups.
- Double the recipe for a party size.