Created for Natural Vitality Living by Gina Matsoukas, who hosts the blog Running to the Kitchen. We hear lots of information about how calcium is needed for bone health, but what we don’t always hear is that we need magnesium with that calcium for the maximum benefit to our bodies. Calcium and magnesium are complementary elements; one tenses (calcium), while the other relaxes (magnesium), with each beat of our hearts. Magnesium deficiency can cause stress, fatigue and twitchy muscles (like that occasional eye twitch that won’t go away!) and plays a part in hormonal imbalances. Although this mineral is naturally found in leafy greens like spinach, as well as in nuts and beans, most people are still magnesium deficient and need a supplement. Natural Calm is a great way to make sure you’re getting your daily needs. These lemon chia mini-muffins made with Natural Calm Organic Sweet Lemon are a nutritious snack with a magnesium boost for busy schedules. Make a batch for quick on-the-go snacking all week! Lemon Chia Seed Muffins Ingredients ¾ cup whole-wheat flour ¼ cup almond flour 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons chia seeds Zest of 1 lemon 1½ teaspoons (1 packet) Lemon Natural Calm Juice of ½ lemon 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted 3 tablespoons maple syrup ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a mini-muffin tin with baking spray or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chia seeds, lemon zest and Lemon Natural Calm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until fully incorporated.
- Fill the muffin tins ¾ full with the batter. Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let cool for 3–5 minutes in the tin, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- We recommend using local, organic and non-GMO ingredients whenever possible.
By Gina Matsoukas