This creamy pasta dish is a delicious one-pot meal that comes together quickly on a busy weeknight! It also keeps well overnight; so a double batch makes for easy meals throughout the week.
Note: This recipe works best with a high-powered blender to ensure the cashews are blended smooth in the broth. If you don’t have one, soak the cashews in the broth for at least 15 minutes prior to blending.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 pound (mild or spicy) ground Italian sausage
1 medium yellow onion, diced
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
? cup raw cashews
1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried sage
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
1½ pounds zucchini (about 3 large zucchini), ends sliced off and spiralized with “spaghetti” blade
Black pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and use a wooden spoon to break it up into smaller pieces.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 8–10 minutes or until the sausage is nicely browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, add the cashews and broth to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the salt, thyme, sage and cashew broth to the pot with the sausage. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Mix the arrowroot powder with two tablespoons of water in a small bowl and add to the pot, along with the spiralized zucchini noodles. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until noodles are just tender.
- Add pepper to taste (if desired) and serve warm.