Naturally sweet fruit goes great with tangy feta and balsamic vinegar used in this summertime salad. The addition of herbs was inspired by those of us at Natural Vitality tending our own herb gardens at home. If you can’t use up all your herbs while cooking and baking, you can always freeze some, dry some or give them away to friends.
Perhaps you don’t have an herb garden. No worries; your local farmers’ market or natural grocery store should carry some fresh twigs of herbs. You can also see our post about making your own garden here.
Savory and Sweet Summer Herb and Fruit Salad
6 oz of watermelon
2 tablespoons mint
2 tablespoons basil
2 cups arugula
¼ cup feta
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the vinegar, oil, orange juice and honey. Stir together and set aside.
- Lay out fresh, clean arugula in the center of a plate.
- Cut the watermelon into chunks and arrange on one side of the arugula.
- Peel and slice the orange, laying the slices on the other side of the arugula.
- Cut the mint and basil into thin pieces and spread over the entire salad.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over the arugula.
- Serve with the orange-balsamic vinaigrette.