Pure comfort food! These homestyle meatballs are great in sandwiches, atop zoodles or butternut squash noodles, or even as a poppable snack. These bite-sized mushroom treats are made with whole-food ingredients and will win over vegetarian eaters and omnivores alike. Pair them with jarred or homemade tomato sauce, pesto, or a Swedish-style cream sauce and berry jam.
Yield: 4–6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ pounds mushrooms, finely chopped (by hand or in a food processor)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or ½ tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
½ cup grated Parmesan-style vegetarian hard cheese
2 large eggs
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened. Add garlic and stir until fragrant—about one minute.
- Add chopped mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned—about 10 minutes.
- Add rosemary, Italian seasoning, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for one minute and remove from heat.
- Transfer mixture to the large work bowl of a food processor fitted with an S blade. Pulse until coarsely blended, then add oats and pulse until combined. Blend until it is very finely chopped.
- Turn out mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add breadcrumbs, parsley, cheese and eggs. Cover and cool for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Form meatball mixture into small balls, about 1–2 inches in diameter. Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes, then flip each meatball and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with sauce over pasta or spiralized vegetables.