We love so much what food blogger Melinda Novak did with Natural Vitality's Natural Calm Sports Bath that we had to share it with you. The naturally occurring minerals in the Natural Calm Sports Bath nourish the skin, while coconut oil and sea salt do their trick to render rough skin soft again. Novak keeps this scrub in the shower and uses it on her hands, body and even her face. Give it a try.
Moisturizing Coconut-Vanilla Body Scrub
Makes about 1 pint
- 1 cup coarse vanilla sugar (recipe below)*
- ? cup Natural Calm Sports Bath (or mineral sea salt)
- ½ cup extra virgin coconut oil (the kind that smells like coconut)
In a medium bowl, stir together the vanilla sugar and Sports Bath. Add in the coconut oil and stir until combined—it'll be the texture of wet sand. Transfer to an airtight container and store at room temperature. To use, place a dime-sized amount into the palm of your hand and rub all over your hands (or whichever part of your body you want). Rinse off with warm water.
* If you don't have access to vanilla beans, you can stir about 1 T of vanilla extract into the coconut oil before combining it with the sugar mixture.
To make vanilla sugar
Makes 2 cups
- 2 cups coarse sugar (turbinado or raw cane sugar)
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
In a small bowl, place the sugar. After scraping the vanilla bean (and using it for a recipe), take the empty pod and cut it into small pieces. Rub the pod into the sugar, coating the pod and getting out any excess seeds. Place the sugar and the vanilla beans in an airtight container and store in a cool place for about 3 days up to 1 week to let the flavors meld before using. Refill with sugar (and add more vanilla beans) as needed.
For additional recipes from Melinda, visit www.cookingalamel.com.