Making your own lip balm is easier than you’d think and a great project to do with kids. This recipe calls for vanilla essential oil, but choose whatever scent you like, such as coconut, mint or strawberry.
1 Tbs 100 percent beeswax
1 Tbs organic unrefined coconut oil
1 Tbs 100 percent raw shea butter
1 tsp vanilla essential oil
8 empty lip balm tubes or small plastic tubs
1. Line up 8 empty lip balm tubes or your tubs next to the stove. Make sure the lip balm tubes are twisted all the way to the bottom.
2. Combine all ingredients together except the vanilla essential oil and place in a saucepan.
3. Stir over medium heat for 4–5 minutes.
4. Once you've melted all the ingredients add in the vanilla essential oil and quickly stir.
5. Using funnel, carefully pour liquid into the tubes or tubs until it reaches the top of the lip balm tube. This needs to be done quickly before the wax hardens.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes to allow the liquid to harden.
If you like your lip balm firmer, add more beeswax; and if you like it softer, add less beeswax. You can always add a different essential oil to change the flavor.
To add a personal touch, download our printable labels. You can purchase sticky paper from your local crafts store or you can glue the labels on to make them more eco.
What you need to make printable labels
We printed our labels on a brown paper shopping bag, but you can use scrap paper that you find around the house.