This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is an unconventional twist on a classic recipe that’s perfect as a one-dish dinner or easy holiday entrée! Since this recipe is both vegan and gluten-free, it works well for a crowd with mixed dietary needs. Serve this with a simple side salad for a complete meal.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup dry brown or green lentils
2 cups vegetable broth
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1½ pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add coconut oil to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, until onions are fragrant.
- Add the sea salt, lentils, broth and thyme. Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 35 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- While lentils are cooking, chop the sweet potatoes into quarters and add them to a medium pot over high heat. Add enough water to cover the potatoes.
- Bring water to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for 15–20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sweet potatoes to a large bowl or food processor. Mash by hand or process vegetables, adding a bit of the cooking liquid if needed, until they reach the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Once lentils are cooked, add the arrowroot powder to the lentil mixture and mix well to thicken.
Transfer lentil mixture to an 8" x 8" baking dish. Top with the mashed sweet potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are slightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven and serve.