We love this total veggie take on pizza—thank you, Sonnet Lauberth, for the amazing recipe that allows us to indulge in a favorite comfort food minus the wheat. Lauberth suggests adapting the recipe to accommodate whatever toppings you want. Hmmm, veggie pepperoni, anyone?
Zucchini Pizza Boats
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
4 medium zucchini
½ cup marinara or pizza sauce
¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
¼ red onion, sliced
¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
½ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh basil chiffonade (small strips)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the inside seeds.
- To help them lay flat on the pan, you can also cut a piece off the bottom of the “boat” to create a flat surface.
- Mix tomato sauce and nutritional yeast (if using).
- Spread a light layer of sauce (about 1 tablespoon) inside each zucchini
- Top with onions, olives and tomatoes.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, until zucchini is tender (but not mushy).
- Top with basil and serve.
By Sonnet Lauberth