A plant-based pasta with protein and fiber-packed marinara—it doesn't get much better than this. We especially love this recipe by certified holistic health coach Sonnet Lauberth because of the ease of the recipe, which quickly cures pasta cravings in a healthy way. For more on Sonnet, visit her blog In Sonnet's Kitchen.
Zucchini Spaghetti with Easy Lentil Marinara
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
1 cup dried French lentils
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 x 15 oz cans organic tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
6 medium zucchini, spiralized into pasta
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add lentils and 2 cups of water to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender and liquid is evaporated, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic cloves and sauté for an additional minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tomato sauce, basil, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- When lentils are done cooking, add them to the sauce and simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and sauté the zucchini pasta for 5-10 minutes, until desired tenderness is achieved.
- Divide the pasta among four plates and top with lentil marinara. Serve hot.
By Sonnet Lauberth